Sunday 21 June 2009

I can't take it anymore!!

For the best part of the last 3 months, there have been numerous arguments on Twitter between myself and a few people from my school. This argument has been about the infamous boyband McFly. I woke up this morning to see several tweets about the band and after throwing a few insluts about McFly, I thought about actually writing my exact thoughts of the boyband that are plagueing this country and it's charts.

I'll start by saying that I think these 4 lads are actually quite talented. One of their songs - Lies - is probably in my top 100 favourite songs. I think it's great that they play their own instruments and write their own words. Even if these instruments sound like they've been bought on the cheap at Argos and the vocal talent leaves much to be desired.

They also have a good stage presence. Watching them at the Isle of White festival, they really electrified the crowd. Even if they made a lackluster performance and the song composition changed from cheesy pop to soft rock. In other live performances, they seem to make the crowd ecstatic and bring girls to tears with their looks.

In fact, I think that the only problem with McFly is that they aren't real music. They are a manufactured pop band that sit on the same seat as Busted and Girls Aloud. People can like them all they want but the real musical afficionados who appreciate well written lyrics and strong beats will always have a hatred for them.

After writing this, I'm actually persuading myself that they're quite reasonable. I keep comparing them to other popular acts like Oasis and Blur but they're not anything like Oasis and Blur. Those bands were popular because they made revolutionarily good music that fitted the times. It just seems that McFly are doing the same thing. They're making manufactured pop music on Argos guitars and drums that put people in a good mood. And unfortunately, thats what teenagers and kids are into these days.

It has to be said that McFly are alot better than these Disney 'musicians' who spout out crappy albums every other hour (Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus are good examples). McFly went from a group of four boys supporting Busted to a band that outlived Busted themselves and are probably just as good. Actually no, Busted are better, solely because Charlie is an absolute legend and Fightstar are awesome.

So Twitter people who keep arguing over McFly. This is my statement. McFly are ok. They are not good, but they have really worked hard to get where they are. They're music is obvious pop-orientated so they shouldn't be compared to Radiohead or Kings of Leon. They should be compared to bands like Jonas Brothers and soloists like Sam Beeton. And if you look at it that way, McFly are acutally quite a good group. I'd much rather listen to Lies than anything 'written' by Miley Cyrus.

Still, their cover of Don't Stop Me Now was the second worst thing to ever happen to music. The first being the birth of Alexandra Burke.

Hope that settles it!

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment