Friday 17 April 2009

Are you a twit?

Social networking is a massive thing for the new age. With websites like facebook, twitter, bebo and tagged - people are now able to communicate with each other from anywhere with a stable internet connection. It's crazy that even now, people can use their phones to browse what has been going on. Some people think this new generation is awful - my father for one - and that it is a form of stalking. But I love it, and even the older generation (my mum and some teachers at my school) like tweeting and bookfacing.
I think that there aare problems though. They are mainly based around the idea of twitter. As you may know, Ashton Kutcher and CNN have been in a race to reach 1 million followers on the new and simple networking site. Kutcher even said that if he won, he would donate enough money to buy 10,000 mosquito nets for a charity whose name I can't remember. This is a lovely idea on paper but somehing bothers me. Why is a celebrity who shot to fame in the film; 'Dude Where's My Car?' only giving to charity because of a publicity stunt on a social networking website? Does Kutcher or CNN believe that they are going to gain popularity because they have lots of followers on Twitter?
Now let me add something into the equation. BasementDad. You won't know what this means but that's why I'm going to explain. Josef Fritzel was that chap who held his daughters for 24 years in a basement and fathered - something like - 3 children. He also raped his daughter 3000 times (apparently), he was also Austrian. Basement dad is an idea thought up by the folks from a certain website I visit, and I think it's a fantastic idea! Over three hours, a macro was made and a page was made with the name 'Josef Frieschel', a Australian doctor. This page is genius in my opinion, it is showing that one webiste full of "social scientists" (says one tech-blog) was able to make a page and get 300,000 followers in less than one day. It took Kutcher weeks to het one million but one 'man' got 300,000 in a day. And this morning I awoke to a message from the Daddy himself justifying why 'he' did it - and the sad thing is that it all makes sense. These people are vigilantes, who cleanse our internets in a lot of ways, ways you and I don't even know.

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment