Wednesday 13 May 2009

Tagged

It must be said that social networking has boomed in the past few years. We have changed from being a society based around the telegram and morse code into a society based around books made of faces. Also, if you are at school or work right now, then I would guess you are using a proxy server of some sort. Now, you probably use your proxy to go on Facebook or Twitter, but there's some good news. You can now go on the slummiest social networking site without a proxy.

A year and a half ago, a bloke from America called...Buddy...yes, Buddy and a young man from China called...I dunno, Thich Quan Duc decided that Facebook was a bit too mature. I mean that in both senses by the way, they thought that it was obsene and for old people. The story goes that they bought the lisence to a site called Tagged which was based around getting people to make friends and find a relationship without seeing each other.

So I made an account to see what the malarkey was about. I signed up and I was flooded with crap telling me I couldn't go live until I'd put some photos up. I did this and then I was told to write a small novel about my life...which I copy and pasted from an old Bebo account. After about twenty-six million more steps I could finally see the homepage, and this pleased me.

Then I got confused...very cnosufed. I had been watching people doing this at school and realised that I had to add people, and never has there been such a monumentously difficult task. I had to go into browse, then find people in my area that were my age. Then I chose what hair colour I liked, and what type of tea I like, and if I was a dictator what country would I destroy first. Seriously, I had to answer that. (I chose to destroy Nicaragua by the way).

As the time came where I could finally tell people that they were pitiful and lonely people, my laptop got filtered. I was using a proxy as well. This would have been a nuisance anyway, seeing as I could normally just press back and then use a method that has been coined around school to stop filters. But that isn't what happened. It was much worse.

Tagged uses a 'one-page' function which means that if you press backspace, you go back to google or whatever you were last on. So guess how unhappy I was when I found that at the point where I was one step from finishing my signing up process, I had to go back to google.

"AAAAAAARRRGGGHH" was my first thought, a whole food tech lesson wasted! Then all of a sudden, it worked. This pleased me. So yes, Tagged. I got 3 messages within two seconds telling me that three people wanted to 'meet up with me'. I was about to delete when I looked at the ages. 10, 12, 11. What sort of ten year old would click 'yes' to someone six years older. Then I realised that I hadn't even said I was sixteen. To get past parental crap, I put myself as 22. So these three girls were saying yes to someone (supposedly) double their age.

How thick could you be to just look at a picture and say yes without considering the age of the person. And then it hit me. The sort of person who signs up to a site that was made to be 'less mature' than Facebook. Nonetheless, I deleted my account and had a conversation with someone who has the power to spam websites with DDoS.

In short, sorry for breaking Tagged.

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment